The Bushey Family immigrated from Quebec, Canada in the late 1800's, and settled in Oswego, New York.
Ira S. Bushey, much like Michael Moran, (who founded the Moran Towing Corporation) drove mules on the Erie Canal. Longing for prosperity, in 1895 founded a boat repair business in Jersey City, New Jersey. He would later relocate his business in 1900 to Staten Island, New York and finally in 1905 to Brooklyn, New York in the Gowanus Canal at the foot of Court Street.
His business would prosper there for many years to follow. The shipyard was named and known as Ira S. Bushey and Sons, Incorporated. The yard for many years built new vessels for Bushey, the United States Government, and various other private owners. Repair work was also performed there as well.
Around the early 1920's, the Bushey family elected to invest heavily in the fuel transportation business. Cars were starting to appear at a fast pace, and many homes, factories were converting from coal to oil.
On Nov. 14, 1925, three partners Spencer, Toner, and Bushey formed Spentonbush Fuel Transport Service, Incorporated. Thus, from these three names Spentonbush became a key and very successful operating company. Tugs and barges were built by Bushey to operate in the Erie Canal when it was open and "in season" to transport needed fuel to the upstate communities. These vessels, along with many coastal tankers (some built by Bushey), owned by Spentonbush delivered fuel up and down the Eastern Seaboard. In addition to the shipyard and Spentonbush, Bushey also owned Sheridan Transportation Company, Red Star Towing and Transportation Company, both companies owning tugs and barges.
In 1931, Patchogue Oil Company was added to the conglomerate. This company had oil terminals in Patchogue and the terminal in Brooklyn on the Gowanus Canal next to the shipyard. The Bushey's now had "all bases covered", and were very successful over the next forty six years.
However, on June 24, 1977 the company was acquired by the Amerada Hess Corporation.