Built in 1944, by Reliable Welding Works of Olympia, Washington as the Ruby VIII for the General Construction Company of Seattle, Washington.
The she was acquired by Rockeries Incorporated of Tacoma, Washington. Where the tug was renamed as the Joshua T.
In 1995, the tug was acquired by an individual named Dene Harrington of Bellingham, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Coot.
In 2005, the tug was acquired by Campbell Maritime Incorporated of Seattle, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Ruby VIII.
In 2020, the assets of Campbell Maritime, including the Ruby VIII , were acquired by DeForge Maritime Towing of Seattle, Washington. Where the tug was renamed as the Smokey.
She is a single screw tug, rated at 500 horsepower.
The tug's capacities are 4,500 gallons of fuel, 200 gallons of lube oil, and 450 gallons of water.