Built in 1977, by St. Louis Ship Incorporated of St. Louis, Missouri (hull #3798) as the C.V. Sorenson for the Indiana-Michigan Power Company of Columbus, Ohio.
In 1994, the tug was acquired by the Marquette Transportation Company of Jefferson, Louisiana. Where she was renamed as the J. Andrew Eckstein.
Powered by two, EMD 16-645E7B-1042 diesel engines. With Falk reduction gears, at a ratio of
4.345:1. Turning two, Avdl, 108(in) by 110(in), stainless steel, fixed pitch propellers, mounted in kort nozzles. She is a twin screw towboat, rated at 6,140 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, John Deere 6081, generator sets. The tug's capacities are 79,610 gallons of fuel, and 1,526 gallons of lube oil.