Built in 1963, by St. Louis Ship of St. Louis, Missouri (hull #1937) as the Joseph M. Jones for the Canal Barge Company Incorporated of New Orleans, Louisiana.
In 1985, the Canal Barge Company Incorporated renamed the tug as the Deborah Valentine.
In 1998, she was acquired by the Marquette Transportation Company of Jefferson, Louisiana. Where the tug was renamed as the Loree Eckstein.
In 2010, the Marquette Transportation Company renamed the tug as the Jerry D. Jarrett.
In 2018, Marquette Transportation Company renamed the tug as the George King.
Powered by two, GM-16-645E7-GE-T1 diesel engines. With Falk reduction gears, at a ratio of
3.759:1. Turning two, 100(in) by 115(in), Avdi, stainless steel, fixed pitch propellers, mounted in kort nozzles. She is a twin screw towboat, rated at 5,000 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, John Deere 6081 generator sets. The tug's capacities are 103,185 gallons of fuel, and 1,496 gallons of lube oil.