Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
YTL-590

Built in 1945, by Bellingham Iron Works of Bellingham, Washington (hull #YTL 590) as the YTL-590 for the United States Navy.

The tug was delivered in 1945 to the United States Navy, and assigned to the 12th Naval District, Navy Yard Mare Island, Vallejo, California. She was later assigned assigned to Naval Support Activity Danang during the Vietnam War.

In 1960, the tug was transferred to South Vietnam. And, eventually placed out of service.

In 1968, she was acquired by the Western Towboat Company of Seattle, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Hornet.

In 1972, the tug was acquired by the Amak Towing Company of Ketchikan, Alaska. Where the tug retained her name.

The tug is no longer listed in documentation, her current and or final disposition is unknown.

Originally powered by a single, Hoover Owens, Rentschler Company 68SA diesel engine. Turning a single propeller, rated at 300 horsepower. However, she was later repowered with a single, Hamilton diesel engine, rated at 350 horsepower. Finally she was repowered with a single, Caterpillar diesel engine, rated at 365 horsepower.
(Captain Ric Shrewsbury, Kyle Stubbs)


  • Vessel Name: YTL-590
  • USCG Doc. No.: 531462
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Call Sign: WYZ3473
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: YTL-590
  • Ship Builder: Bellingham Iron Works
  • Year Built: 1945
  • Length: 61.3
  • Hailing Port: KETCHIKAN, AK.
  • Hull Depth: 6.1
  • Hull Breadth: 17
  • Gross Tonnage: 48
  • Net Tonnage: 33
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    YTL-590, Hornet
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    United States Navy, Western Towboat Co., Amak Towing Co. Inc.