Built in 1927, by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio (hull #57) as the Kansas for the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1958, the tug was converted to diesel propulsion. Powered by a single, Cleveland 12-278A diesel engine. With a Falk Reverse reduction gear, at a ratio of 3.5:1. Turning one, 102(in) by 66(in), three bladed, fixed pitch, stainless steel propeller, in a Kort nozzle She is a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, Detroit Diesel 2-71 diesel generator sets.
(Isaac Pennock, Will Van Dorp, Paul Strubeck)