Built in 1952, by the Defoe Shipbuilding Company of Bay City. Michigan (hull #423) as the Limestone Michigan Limestone and Chemical Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A division of the U.S. Steel Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
In 1982, the tug was acquired by the Gaelic Tugboat Company of Detroit, Michigan. Where she was renamed as the Wicklow.
In 1983, she was acquired by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1990, the Great Lakes Towing Company renamed the tug as the North Carolina.
Powered by a single, Cleveland 12-278A diesel engine. She is a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.
(Isaac Pennock, Will Van Dorp)