Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
SUPERIOR
Photo by: Wade P. Streeter

Built in 1912, by the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company of Manitowoc, Wisconsin (hull #50) as the Richard Fitzgerald for the Chicago River and Indiana Railroad Company of Chicago, Illinois.

In 1916, the tug was acquired by the Pringle Barge Lines Incorporated of Cleveland, Ohio. Where she retained her name.

In 1918, she was acquired by the U.S. Shipping Board where the tug retained her name.

In 1919, the tug was acquired by the Kelley Island Lime and Transport Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where she retained her name.

In 1929, she was acquired by the T.L. Durocher Company of DeTour, Michigan. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1932, the tug was acquired by the Kelley Island Lime and Transport Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where she retained her name.

In 1939, she was acquired by the Whitney Corporation of Cincinnati, Ohio. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1942, the tug was chartered to the Merritt-Chapman and Scott Corporation of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.

In 1946, she was acquired by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where she was renamed as the Superior.

In 1954, the tug was converted to diesel propulsion. Powered by one, EMD 12-567C diesel engine. She is a single screw tug, rated at 1,640 horsepower.
(Isaac Pennock)


  • Vessel Name: SUPERIOR
  • USCG Doc. No.: 210354
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted Registry
  • Call Sign: WA9238
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 50
  • Ship Builder: Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co.
  • Year Built: 1912
  • Length: 82
  • Hailing Port: WILMINGTON, DE.
  • Hull Depth: 11
  • Hull Breadth: 22
  • Gross Tonnage: 147
  • Net Tonnage: 87
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Richard Fitzgerald
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Chicago River & Indiana Railroad Co., U.S. Shipping Board, Kelley Island Lime & Transport Co., T.L. Durocher & Co., Whitney Corp.