Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
A.W. COLTON

Built in 1881, by David Bell of Buffalo, New York as the A.W. Colton for an individual named M.T. Huntley.

Named for Abraham W. Colton, who was a principal shipper on the Miami and Erie canals.

In 1883, the tug was acquired by an individual named S.V.A. Van Horn. Where she retained her name.

In 1884, she was acquired by an individual named C. Colton. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1887, the tug was acquired by an individual named George Nester. Where she retained her name.

In 1899, she was acquired by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1902, the tug was transferred to the Union Towing and Wrecking Company of Cleveland, Ohio. A division of the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where she retained her name.

In 1925, she was acquired by individuals named Jacques H. Fabriola and Eli O. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1932, the tug was acquired by an individual named Alfred Gregoire. Where she retained her name.

In 1944, she was acquired by an individual named William W. Wells. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1945, the tug was abandoned.


  • Vessel Name: A.W. COLTON
  • USCG Doc. No.: 106025
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted Registry
  • Hull Material: IRON
  • Ship Builder: David Bell
  • Year Built: 1881
  • Length: 81.0
  • Hull Depth: 10.0
  • Hull Breadth: 18.0
  • Gross Tonnage: 92.61
  • Net Tonnage: 48.46
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    A.W. COLTON
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    M.T. Huntley, S.V.A. Van Horn, C. Colton, George Nester, Great Lakes Towing Co., Union Towing and Wrecking Co., Jacques H. Fabriola and Eli O.