Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
JOHN ROEN JR.

Built in 1907, by the Dunham Towing and Wrecking Company of Chicago, Illinois (hull #1) as the James R. Sinclair for the Union Towing and Wrecking Company of Cleveland, Ohio.

In 1938, the tug was accrued by Roen Steamship Company of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Where she was renamed as the John Roen Jr.

In 1957, she was acquired by the Gopher Corporation of Ontario, Canada. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1965, the tug was acquired by the Peter Kiewit Sons Company of Omaha, Nebraska. Where she retained her name.

In 1966, she was acquired by the General Tug and Towing Company of Chicago, Illinois. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1969, the tug was acquired by a west coast based interest by named Joseph Dickie. Where the tug retained her name. However, while en route to the west coast was tied up and abandoned at Frankfort, Michigan where she sank at the dock, but was eventually raised.

In 1971, she was renamed as the Apollo. However, her current and or final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug.


  • Vessel Name: JOHN ROEN JR.
  • USCG Doc. No.: 2038530
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted Registry
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 1
  • Ship Builder: Dunham Towing & Wrecking Co.
  • Year Built: 1907
  • Length: 73.5
  • Hull Depth: 10
  • Hull Breadth: 18.4
  • Gross Tonnage: 71
  • Net Tonnage: 36
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    James R. Sinclair, John Roen Jr., Apollo
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Union Towing and Wrecking Co., Roen Steamship Co., John J. Roen, E.H. Barnaby Co., Roen Steamship Co., Chicago Towing Co., Gopher Corp., Ltd., Peter Kiewit Sons' Co., General Tug & Towing Co., Joseph Dickie