Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
ATLAS

Built in 1882, by the Union Drydock Company of Buffalo, New York (hull #28) as the Shaughraun for the Maytham Tug Line Incorporated of Duluth, Minnesota.

In 1883, the Maytham Tug Line Line renamed the tug as the Alpha.

In 1899, she was acquired by the Great Lakes Towing Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1908, the Great Lakes Towing Company renamed the tug as the Princeton.

In 1925, the tug was acquired by the American Construction Company of Buffalo, New York. A subsidy of the Dunbar and Sullivan Company of Buffalo, New York. Where she was renamed as the Atlas.

In 1948, she was acquired by Avondale Marine Ways Incorporated of Avondale, Louisiana. Where the tug was renamed as the Avon.

In 1952, she was acquired by the Leonardi Towing Company of Tampa, Florida. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1930, the tug was converted to diesel propulsion, she was a single screw tug.


  • Vessel Name: ATLAS
  • USCG Doc. No.: 115833
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise, Unrestricted
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 28
  • Ship Builder: Union Dry Dock Co.
  • Year Built: 1882
  • Length: 57
  • Hull Depth: 8.2
  • Hull Breadth: 15.5
  • Gross Tonnage: 43
  • Net Tonnage: 21
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Shaughraun, Alpha, Princeton, Atlas, Avon
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Maytham Tug Line Inc., Great Lakes Towing Co., Hand & Johnson Tug Line Inc., Great Lakes Towing Co., American Construction Co., Avondale Marine Ways Inc., E.W. Myers, J.C. Leonardi, Leonardi Towing Co.