Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
F.W. KNOWLES
Photo by: Captain Pat Folan

Built in 1941, by the Gulfport Shipbuilding Corporation of Port Arthur, Texas (hull #189) for the General Motors Corporation of Detroit, Michigan.

In 1941, the tug was acquired by the Untied States Navy. Where she was designated as the YT-176 (USS Junaluska). And was allocated to the Atlantic Fleet, Naval Operating Base, Argentia, Newfoundland.

In 1944, the United States Navy redesignated the tug as the YTB-176.

In 1947, she was redesigned as the YTB-176 (Junaluska). Where the tug was allocated to Boston, Massachusetts.

In 1962, the United States Navy redesinated the tug as the YTM-176.

In 1981, she was acquired by Seabulk Towing Incorporated of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Where the tug was renamed as the Mary Dee Sanders.

In 1998, Seabulk Towing Incorporated renamed the tug as Canaveral.

In 2009, the tug was acquired by Mar-K Towing Company of Panama City, Florida. Where she was renamed as the F.W. Knowles.

Powered by a single, EMD diesel engine. She is a single screw tug, rated at 1,000 horsepower.
(NavSource Online)


  • Vessel Name: F.W. KNOWLES
  • USCG Doc. No.: 647228
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • IMO Number: 8991580
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted, Registry
  • Call Sign: WDE4727
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 189
  • Ship Builder: Gulfport Shipbuilding Corp.
  • Year Built: 1941
  • Length: 95
  • Hailing Port: PANAMA CITY, FL.
  • Hull Depth: 12
  • Hull Breadth: 24
  • Gross Tonnage: 148
  • Net Tonnage: 100
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    YT-176 (USS Junaluska), YTB-176, YTB-176 (Junaluska), YTM-176, Mary Dee Sanders, CANAVERAL, F W KNOWLES
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    United States Navy, Seabulk Towing Inc.