Built in 1976, by McDermott Shipyard Incorporated of Morgan City, Louisiana (hull #106) as the Sidney Foss for the Foss Maritime Company of Seattle, Washington.
In 2017, she was acquired by Olson Marine Incorporated of Ketchikan, Alaska. Where the tug was renamed as the Richard O.
Powered by two, EMD 12-645-E6 diesel engines. With Falk 1230 MRDE-E reduction gears, at a ratio of 4.08:1. Turning two, five bladed, 102(in) by 72(in) by 76(in), Coolidge, fixed pitch propellers. She is a twin screw tug, rated at 3,000 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, 116kW generator sets. Driven by two Detroit Diesel 6V-71 diesel engines. The tug's capacities are 105,000 gallons of fuel, 140 gallons of hydraulic oil, 6,811 gallons of ballast, 4,100 gallons of lube oil, and 4,200 gallons of water.
The towing equipment consists of a Markey TDSD-32, double drum, towing winch. Outfitted with 2,200(ft) of 2(in) towing wire on each drum. Driven by a dedicated Detroit Diesel 6V-71 diesel engine.