Built in 1902, by the Crawford and Reid Shipyard of Tacoma, Washington as the Elf for the Olson Towing Company of Tacoma, Washington.
In 1916, the tug was acquired by the Foss Launch and Tug Company of Tacoma, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Foss No. 15.
In 1970, she was acquired by the Olson Towing Company of Tacoma, Washington. Where the tug was renamed again as the Elf.
The tug was then acquired by the Tate Towing Company, where she was renamed as the Karlyn.
She was later sold, where she was renamed as the Skookum Cache. . Where where she was involved with the construction of the Bangor Submarine Station.
In 1989, the tug was acquired by Karen and Earl VanDiest of Seattle, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Elf.
On January 17, 2014, the tug sank near West Vancouver, British Columbia. Powered by a single V12 Caterpillar D386 engine, she is a single screw tug, rated at 360 horsepower.