Built in 1942, by Marietta Manufacturing of Point Pleasant, West Virginia (hull #476) as the Col. George Armistead, a mineplanter for the United States Army Coast Artillery Corps.
In 1944, she was acquired by the United States where she was renamed as the ACM 5 (Barbican). She was converted to an auxiliary minelayer at the Charleston Navy Yard and commissioned on the 24th of March 1945. The tug was then transferred to the Pacific Fleet.
The Barbican arrived in the Pacific too late to participate actively in combat against the Japanese. Departing Pearl Harbor on the 17th of August, she arrived at Saipan on the 20th of September 1945 after a brief stop at Midway.
For one month she operated between the Marianas and Ryukyu Islands as a tender and operational headquarters for a YMS squadron.
On the 24th of October she departed Okinawa for Sasebo, Japan. She remained on occupation duty in the Far East until the 24th of February 1946 when she departed for the United States. The tug was decommissioned on the 12th of June 1946 and loaned to the Coast Guard the same day where she was redesignated as the Ivy (WAGL 329) . However, in 1965 she was redesignated as the WAGL 329, she was decommissioned in 1969.
In 1969, she was acquired by Foss Launch and Tug of Tacoma, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Agnes Foss.
Her current and or final disposition is unknown.