Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
ADRIATIC SEA
Pictured as: the Adriatic Sea (Kirby Corporation) Photo by: Kyle Stubbs

Built in 1978, by McDermott Shipyard of New Iberia, Louisiana (hull #110) as the Lamco VI for the Louisiana Marine Company of New Orleans, Louisiana.

In 1979, the tug was acquired by the Interstate Oil Transportation Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Where she was renamed as the Diplomat.

At the time, the Interstate Oil Transportation Company operated two fleets. Their Northeast Fleet, which was referred to as the "Green Fleet." Operated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. And their Southern Fleet, which was referred to as the "White fleet" which operated out of Tampa, Florida.

In 1981, the Interstate Oil Transportation Company was acquired by the Southern National Resources Company of Birmingham, Alabama. The new company was named the SONAT Marine Company Incorporated of Birmingham, Alabama. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1987, the SONAT Marine Company was acquired by the the Maritrans Operating Partnership of Tampa, Florida. Where the tug retained her name. Maritrans was formed by group of managers from the SONAT Marine Company. Who offered to form a partnership to raise the funds necessary to purchase the company. These eleven partners included some individuals who had worked for the Interstate Oil Transportation Company since the 1950's.

In March of 1989, the Exxon Valdez ran aground in Prince William Sound near Valdez, Alaska. And in 1990, the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 was passed calling for the double hulling of all petroleum carrying vessels by January 1st of 2015. As well, as other stipulations that effected Maritrans including manning, preparedness, and spill prevention. Maritrans filed suit to fight the stipulations set fourth by OPA '90.

By the mid 1990's, the Maritrans Operating Partners had begun to consolidate its business. By first, backing out of the black oil trade, and carrying only petroleum products and petrochemicals. The phosphate trade, and local transportation in Baltimore, Maryland that was part of the Harbor Towing subsidiary did not fit into Maritrans's new business model. As Maritrans backed out local transportation companies emerged, and established operations in the area. They included the Bouchard Transportation Company of Melville, New York and the Vane Brothers Company of Baltimore, Maryland.

In 1998, the tug was acquired by the K-Sea Transportation Partnership of East Brunswick, New Jersey. Where she was renamed as the Adriatic Sea.

In 2003, the tug was outfitted with a JAK-400 coupler system. And, repowered with two Wartsila 6L26 diesel engines. With Reinjtes WAF2326 reduction gears. Turning two, cast steel, fixed pitch, propellers. For a rated 4,800 horsepower.

The tug's electrical service is provided by two, 99kW generator sets. With a third, 99kW auxiliary generator set. Her capacities are 132,879 gallons of fuel.

In 2011, the K-Sea Transportation Partnership was acquired by the Kirby Corporation of Channelview, Texas. Where the tug retained her name.
(Captain Eric Takakjian)


  • Vessel Name: ADRIATIC SEA
  • USCG Doc. No.: 590232
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • IMO Number: 7716969
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted, Registry
  • Call Sign: WDB5553
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 110
  • Ship Builder: MCDERMOTT SHIPYARD
  • Year Built: 1978
  • Length: 118.7
  • Hailing Port: NEW YORK, NY
  • Hull Depth: 14.6
  • Hull Breadth: 34
  • Gross Tonnage: 198
  • Net Tonnage: 134
  • Owner:
    KIRBY OFFSHORE MARINE OPERATING LLC
    55 WAUGH DRIVE SUITE 1000
    HOUSTON, TX 77007
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Lamco VI, DIPLOMAT
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Louisiana Marine Company Inc., Interstate Oil Transportation Co., SONAT Marine Co., Maritrans Operating Partners, K-SEA TRANSPORTATION LLC, K-SEA OPERATING PARTNERSHIP LP, K-SEA OPERATING LLC