Built in 2012, by the Chesapeake Shipbuilding Corporation of Salisbury, Maryland (hull #105) as the Red Hook for the Vane Brothers Company of Baltimore, Maryland.
Designed by Frank Basile of Entech and Associates of Houma, Louisiana. She was the seventh Sassafras class tug constructed for the Vane Brothers Company.
Named for Red Hook, which is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Brooklyn. Where Vane Brothers maintains a port of operation. Red Hook is named for the red clay soil and the point of land projecting into the Upper New York Bay.
The village was settled by Dutch colonists of New Amsterdam in 1636, and named Roode Hoek. In Dutch "Hoek" means "point" or "corner." The actual "hoek" of Red Hook was a point on an island that stuck out into Upper New York Bay at today's Dikeman Street west of Ferris Street.
Powered by two, Tier II compliant, Caterpillar 3512 diesel engines. With Twin Disc MG 6500 reduction gears, at a ratio of 6.04:1. Turning two, 87(in), Rolls Royce, four bladed, fixed pitch, propellers. For a rated 3,000 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, 99kW, John Deere generator sets. The tug's capacities are 65,575 gallons of fuel, 2,068 gallons of lube oil, and 2,890 gallons of water.
The towing gear consists of a single drum, JonRie InterTech towing winch. Driven by a single, John Deere 4045 diesel engine. With an electric, JonRie InterTech, deck capstan mounted on her stern.