Built in 1899, by Steven Barbare of Tacoma, Washington as the the Oscar B. for the Foss Launch and Tug Company of Tacoma, Washington.
Originally constructed as as a passenger vessel. She was converted to a towing vessel the middle of the construction process.
In 1913, vessel was beached along the banks of the Snohomish River in Everett, Washington. Where the vessel was acquired by the Rouse Towing Company of Seattle, Washington. Her restoration included repowering the tug's original single, steam engine.
In 1920, the Rouse Towing Company was acquired by the Foss Launch and Tug Company of Tacoma, Washington. Where the tug was renamed as the Wallace Foss
In 1949, a new pilothouse was added. In 1960, she received a hull upgrade And in 1960, she was repowered with a single, Caterpillar diesel engine. Rated at 230 horsepower.
By 1972, she was acquired by GS of Scottsdale Incorporated of LaConner, Washington. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1990, the tug was acquired by Janet Whitney of Sunapee, New Hampshire. Where she was converted for use as a "live aboard." And, retained her name and was berthed in Newport, Rhode Island.
(Kyle Stubbs, Captain Ric Shrewsbury)