Built in 1976, by Equitable Shipyard Incorporated of Madisonville, Louisiana (hull #1677) as the Gulf Commander for Gulf Mississippi Marine Incorporated of Houston, Texas.
In 1978, Gulf Mississippi Marine Incorporated became Gulf Fleet Marine Incorporated of Houston, Texas.
In 1985, Zapata Marine Service, Gulf Fleet Marine Incorporated, and Jackson Marine Services merged to form Zapata Gulf Marine Service Incorporated of Houston, Texas.
In 1992, Zapata Gulf Marine Incorporated merged with Tidewater Marine Incorporated of New Orleans, Louisiana. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2002, the tug was acquired by the Smith Maritime Company Honolulu, Hawaii. Which was a part of the Hawaiian Interisland Towing Company of Honolulu, Hawaii. Where she was renamed the Jimmy Smith.
In 2007, the Smith Maritime Company was acquired by the K-Sea Transportation Partnership Incorporated of East Brunswick, New Jersey. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2011, the K-Sea Transportation Partnership Incorporated was acquired by the Kirby Corporation of Channelview, Texas. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2016, the tug was phased out of active service, and was "laid up" at Lake Union in Seattle, Washington.
In 2017, she was acquired by Discount Marine Incorporated of Brier, Washington. Where the tug was scrapped. She was a twin screw tug, rated at 7,200 horsepower.
(Mike Rethmeyer, Captain Eric Takakjian, Kyle Stubbs)