Built in 1963, by the Southern Shipbuilding Corporation of Slidell, Louisiana (hull #YTB-765) as the YTB-765 (Okmulgee) for the United States Navy.
A Natick class district harbor tug. Her keel was laid down on July 3rd, 1962, and she was launched on April 18th, 1963. The tug was delivered to the United States Navy on July 25th, 1963. She was placed in service at the 5th Naval District at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia.
It is unknown as to the date she was placed out of service. The tug was struck from the Naval Register May 25th, 2005. Where she was transferred to the the Defense Re utilization and Marketing Service (DRMS).
In 2006, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Towing and Transportation Company of New York, New York. Where she was as the renamed as the Steven McAllister.
In 2007, she was repowered/reconfigured. Originally powered by a single, Fairbanks Morse diesel engine, turning a single propeller. For a rated 2,000 horsepower. She was repowered with two Caterpillar 3516B diesel engines. Driving a pair of Schottel SRP 1012 "z-drives," for a rated 4,000 horsepower.
The Steven McAllister was the eleventh conversion of a United States Naval tug by McAllister Towing. From a single screw configuration, to a "z drive" configuration. The ninth conversion to feature twin "z drives." And, the twentieth tractor tug to enter service for the McAllister Towing and Transportation Company.
Her electrical service is provided by two, Tier II complaint, 99kW, John Deere, EPA PowerTech generators. The tug's capacities are 20,000 gallons of fuel oil, 710 gallons of lube oil and 1,290 gallons of potable water.
She is outfitted with a Goulds fire pump. Rated for 2,000 Gallons Per Minute. Feeding two fire monitors, with a 1,500 Gallon Per Minute foam capacity. Driven by a single 6-71 engine diesel engine.
The towing equipment consists of a JonRie InterTech 200 series bow winch. Outfitted with 450(ft) of 7(in) of Neutron rope. Her original underwater submarine fendering was kept, and refurbished.