Built in 1918, by Amship, Buffalo/Buffalo Drydock of Buffalo New York (hull #903) as the Comanche for the United States Navy.
She was later re designated as the AT 20 (Sagamore). She was later redesignated again as the ATO 20 (Sagamore).
In 1948, she was acquired by McAllister Brothers Towing of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the John E. McAllister.
The tug was scrapped in 1953.