Built in 1944, by East Coast Shipyards Incorporated of Bayonne, New Jersey (hull #5) as the Ammonusuc (design number USMC #1520) for the United States Navy.
She was built as a T-1 tanker for the United States Navy. T-1 tankers were small product carriers, designed to carry gasoline. Almost all of them went to either the U.S. Navy, as AOGs , or to Britain, for service in a similar role. Many of those under construction at the end of the war, and were sold immediately.
The unit entered service on the May 19th, 1944. Where she was designated as the AOG-23.
In 1948, she was sold. And renamed as the Providence.
In 1962, the unit was acquired by Texaco Marine Company Incorporated of Beaumont, Texas. Where she was lengthened, and, renamed as the Texaco Providence.
In 1968, she was acquired by the Reinauer Transportation Companies of Staten Island, New York. Where she was renamed as the Dean Reinauer.
In 1969, she was burned up. And, the unit was declared a constructive total loss.
In 1970, she was converted to a tank barge at the Caddell's Dry Dock Company in Staten Island, New York. Where she was renamed as the BFT No. 1. And, assigned to the Reinauer Transportation Company subsidiary. The Boston Fuel Transportation Company of Boston, Massachusetts.
The barge was then acquired by a Norfolk, Virginia based owner. Where the barge was renamed Mary C. And, was converted to carry sludge
The unit was then acquired by Eklof Marine Corporation of Staten Island, New York. The barge was stripped for spare parts before she was being scuttled by explosives on October 30th, 1990 on New Jersey's Garden State Reef.