Built in 1942, by Gulfport Boiler and Welding of Port Arthur, Texas (hull #206) as the Mars for M.V. Butcher-Arthur, Incorporated of Houston, Texas.
Her keel was laid on the 25th of February 1942. The tug's Atlas Imperial engines where engine set on the 27th of March 1942 and the tug was launched at 1800 on the 18th of March 1942 and delivered on April 29th 1942. Eight of this class tugs where built for Butcher-Arthur during the 1940's.
The Mars was rated at 400 horsepower and primarily worked upon inland waters.
In the 1950’s, the tug was acquired by Tucker Towing and renamed the Joseph P. Tucker.
Tucker Towing was later acquired by Oliver Transportation (the forerunner of Express Marine.) of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Oliver Transportation used contract tugs to move their coal barges (the Oliver work was (1902 until 1972) to the Delaware River power stations. Tucker Towing was doing that same work before being acquired by Oliver Transportation. When the was acquired the Joseph P. Tucker the tug was renamed the Anne after a clerk named Anne Kaiser.
The tug was repowered in 1972, with a new engine and a steering nozzle (no rudder) at some point between 1972 and 1975.
When Tucker Towing was bought out in the late 1960's the land that was their yard at Cramer Hill in Camden, New Jersey became Oliver/Tucker’s yard. The company was renamed Express Marine, Incorporated and currently remains Express's yard.
The tug was eventually acquired by Bay Towing of Norfolk, Virginia she was renamed as the John L. Roper II.
She was then acquired by Robbins Maritime of Norfolk, Virginia. Where she was renamed as the Bay Hawk, where the tug's wheelhouse was cut down.
The tug was later acquired by Commonwealth Marine Towing of Nofolk, Virginia. Where she was renamed as the Hawk.
She was eventually acquired by Blaha Towing Company of Suffolk, Virginia. Where she was renamed as the Hill Carter.
(Dave Boone, Allen Wisby, Dan Owen, Wayne Huebschman)