Built in 1938, by Defoe Shipyard of Bay City, Michigan (hull #162) as the William J. Moran for the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York.
She was chartered to the United States Navy in December of 1940. The tug was classified as a yard net tender, and renamed as the YN-45 (Wapasha). She was converted for naval use at the New York Navy Yard in Brooklyn, New York. She was placed in service on the 27th of January 1941.
The tug was allocated to the 1st Naval District at Boston, Massachusetts, which became her home port. After shifting to Boston on the 1st of February 1941, she took up her net tending duties in Narragansett Bay, based at Naval Training Center Newport at Newport, Rhode Island.
During her service there, which lasted into 1947, she was twice reclassified. On the 8th of April 1942, she was reclassified as a net tender and redesignated YNT-13. Then on the 4th of August 1945, she was reclassified a large harbor tug and redesignated YTB-737.
The tug was taken out of service on the 11th of February 1947, and she was struck from the Navy List on the 11th of March 1947. She was turned over to the Maritime Commission for disposal on the 16th of May 1947.
She was reacquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Ann Moran.
In 1976, she was acquired by the Solvent Tanker Corporation of Staten Island, New York where she was renamed as the Yankee.
She was then acquired by the Eklof Marine Corporation of Staten Island. Where she retained her name.
She was scrapped in 1993.
The tug was powered by a single diesel engine, single propeller, and rated at 1,350 horsepower.