Built in 1952, by Ira S. Bushey and Sons Incorporated of Brooklyn, New York (hull #604) as the YN-604 for the United States Navy.
In 1952, in lieu of delivery to the United States Army. The tug was acquired by the Providence Steamboat Company of Providence, Rhode Island. Where she was renamed as the Maurania II.
In 1985, the tug was acquired by the Massachusetts Towing Company of Fall River, Massachusetts. Where she was renamed as the Valiant.
In 1989, the Massachusetts Towing Company renamed the tug as the Towmaster.
In 1997, the Massachusetts Towing Company was acquired by the Providence Steamboat Company of Providence, Rhode Island. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2004, the tug was acquired by the Thames Towboat Company of New London, Connecticut. Where she retained her name.
Powered by a single, six cylinder, Fairbanks Morse diesel engine. Turning a single, fixed pitch, propeller. For a 1,200 horsepower.
(David Wright, Charles Crosby)