Built in 1944, by the Gibbs Gas Engine Company of Jacksonville, Florida as the YT-399 (Numa) for the United States Navy.
Launched on November 22nd 1944, she was delivered to the United States Navy on April 27th, 1945. She was placed into service as YTB-399 (Numa). Where she was allocated to 12th Naval District at San Francisco, California.
In March of 1946, She was placed out of service. And, was "laid up" in the Reserve Fleet at Astoria, Oregon. In 1954, the tug was shifted to the Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Florida.
In 1954, she was withdrawn from the Reserve Fleet and reactivated in December of 1954. The tug was allocated to the 6th Naval District at San Diego, California. In February of 1962, she was reclassified District Harbor Tug, Medium YTM-399.
On December 31st, 1985 she was struck from the Naval Register. And the tug was disposed of by the Defense reutilization, and Marketing Service (DRMS). For exchange, sale or reuse or conversion.
On July 31st, 2001 the tug was acquired by Burnham Associates Incorporated of Salem, Massachusetts. Where she was renamed as the Robert W. Tomlinson.
In 2011, the tug went out of documentation. The tug was acquired by and undisclosed owner in Key West, Florida. Where the tug retained her name. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.
(NavSource Online, Will Van Dorp)