Built in 1902, by Fulton Iron Works of San Francisco, California as the Sea Rover for the Shipowners and Merchants Tugboat Company of San Francisco, California.
On December 11th, 1917 the tug was acquired by the United States Navy. Where she was designated as the AT-57 (USS Sea Rover).
The tug departed Mare Island Navy Yard in Vallejo, California on February 11th, 1918. Towing three barges, bound for the east coast. After completing this voyage, the underwent repairs at Norfolk, Virginia She then served briefly as station tug at New London, Connecticut. Before being transferred to Bermuda on May 18th, 1918 to serve as station tug.
On January 31st, 1918 she was redesignated by the United States Navy as the SP-1014 (USS Sea Rover).
In 1920, the United Stated Navy redesignated the tug as the AT-57. Where she was drydocked, "laid up" in the reserve fleet with a caretaker crew.
On March 4th, 1921 she was decommissioned. And was stricken from the Navy List.
On February 25th, 1922 the tug was struck from the Naval Register. And, tug was returned to the Shipowners and Merchants Tugboat Company of San Francisco, California. Which was now owned by Crowley Marine Services Incorporated of San Francisco, California. Where she was renamed as the Sea Rover.
In 1949, she was acquired by Learner Company of Oakland, California for scrapping. She was a single screw, steam tug.
(NavSource Online, Kyle Stubbs)