Built in 2015, by the Chesapeake Shipbuilding Corporation of Salisbury, Maryland (hull #121) as the Fort Schuyler for the Vane Brothers Company of Baltimore, Maryland.
Designed by Frank Basile of Entech and Associates of Houma, Louisiana. She was the eleventh Sassafras class tug constructed for the Vane Brothers Company.
Named for Fort Schuyler, dedicated in 1856. The fort was constructed when it became apparent that the United State's coast was poorly defended against foreign invasion. The fort was strategically positioned to protect New York City from naval attack through Long Island Sound, guarding the eastern entrance to New York Harbor. It is located on Throgs Neck, the southeastern tip of the Bronx, where the East River meets Long Island Sound.
During the American Civil War, Fort Schuyler held as many as five hundred prisoners of war from the Confederate States Army and military convicts from the Union Army. It also housed the MacDougall Hospital.
In the 1920's the fort was placed on the abandoned list by the United States Army. Robert Moses intended to convert the fort to a state park as well as a permanent shore base for the New York State Merchant Marine Academy, later known as SUNY Maritime College. The site was then rehabilitated by the Works Progress Administration during the Great Depression and dedicated to the school in 1938. The college, which was founded in 1874, still occupies the site, and in 1948 was one of the original twenty nine founding schools to be incorporated into the State University of New York as the State University of New York Maritime College. In 1976, the fort was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Powered by two, Tier III complaint, Caterpillar 3512 diesel engines. With Twin Disc MG 6500 reduction gears, at a ratio of 6.04:1. Turning two, Rolls Royce, Troost, 87(in), four bladed, fixed pitch, propellers. For a rated 3,000 horsepower.
Her electrical service is provided by two, Tier III complaint, 99kW, John Deere generator sets. The tug's capacities are 65,575 gallons of fuel, 2,068 gallons of lube oil, and 2,890 gallons of water.
The towing gear consists of a single drum, JonRie InterTech towing winch. Driven by a single, John Deere 4045 diesel engine. With an electric, JonRie InterTech, deck capstan mounted on her stern.