Built in 1902 by Crawford and Reid Shipyard of Tacoma, Washington as the Elf for the Olson Towing Company.
In 1916, she was acquired by the Foss Tug and Launch of Tacoma, Washington. Where she was renamed as the Foss No. 15.
In 1970, she was reacquired by the Olson Towing Company where she was renamed again as the Elf.
The tug was then acquired by Tate Towing where she was renamed as the Karlyn.
She was later renamed as the Skookum Cache where she was involved with the construction of the Bangor Submarine Station.
In 1989, she was acquired by Karen and Earl VanDiest where she was renamed
as the Elf.
She is powered by a 360 horsepower V12 Caterpillar D386 engine.