Built in 1945, by the Gibbs Gas and Engine Company of Jacksonville, Florida for the United States Navy.
Although originally constructed for the United State Navy. The tug was never assigned a designation. And was sold, in lieu of entering military service.
In 1980, she was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was named as the America.
In 1982, the tug was acquired by the Outreach Marine Incorporated of Baltimore, Maryland. Where the tug retained her name.
The tug is no longer in documentation, her current and or final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug rated at 1,200 horsepower.