Built in 1923, by the Todd Shipyards Corporation of Brooklyn, New York (hull #26) as the Socony 9 for the Socony Mobil Oil Company Incorporated of New York, New York.
In 1953, the Socony Mobil Oil Company became the Esso Shipping Company of Wilmington, Delaware. Where the tug retained her name. The name change reflected company reorganizations mandated by the Federal Government under the Sherman Anti-trust Act of 1890, and the Hepburn Act of 1906. Which expanded government jurisdiction over oil production and shipment.
In 1958, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Alexandra McAllister.
In 1966, she acquired by the Simmons-Lee Lighterage and Transit Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Richard S. Simmons.
However, later that year the tug went out of documentation. Her current and or final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 850 horsepower.