Built in 1944, by T.S. Marvel Shipbuilding of Newburgh, New York (hull #230) as the Harry A. Marvel for the Meseck Towing and Transportation Company of New York, New York.
In 1946, the tug was acquired by the Esso Shipping Company of Wilmington, Delaware. Where she was renamed as the Esso Tug No. 8.
In 1955, the Esso Shipping Company renamed the tug as the Esso Maryland.
In 1958, the tug was acquired by the Baker Whiteley Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland. Where she was renamed as the America.
In 1980, the Barker Whiteley Towing Company was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 2005, she was scuttled at Georgetown Reef off of Georgetown, South Carolina. As part of an artificial reef program.
Originally powered by a single, three cylinder, Skinner Unaflow, oil fired, engine rated at 1,200 horsepower. In 1970, she was converted to diesel, with a twelve cylinder, Skinner Inflow engine, rated at 2,360 horsepower.