Built in 1919, by the New York Yacht, Launch and Engine Company of Morris Heights, New York as the YT-80 for the United States Navy.
In 1920's, the tug was acquired by the Canal-Lakes Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Calatco No. 3.
In 1947, she was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the American.
In 1952, the tug was scrapped. She was single screw, rated at 350 horsepower.