Built in 1912, by T.S. Marvel Shipbuilding of Newburgh, New York (hull #214) as the New York Central No. 20 for the New York Central Railroad Company of New York, New York.
She was later acquired by Marine Contracting Incorporated of Charleston, South Carolina. Where she was renamed as the Charleston.
In 1989, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1993, she was converted for use as a yacht. She is no longer listed in documentation. Her current and or final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,800 horsepower.