Built in 1943, by Pusey and Jones Incorporated of Wilmington, Delaware (hull #1099) as the Justine for the Curtis Bay Towing Company of Baltimore, Maryland.
The tug was constructed from steel that Pusey and Jones Incorporated had remaining from a government allotment after the construction of the Justine's two near sisters. The tugs H.S. Falk and J.P. Pulliam. The tug was essentially an "afterthought" on the part of the owners of Curtis Bay Towing as well as Pusey and Jones.
In 1958, Curtis Bay Towing was acquired by the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1974, she was acquired by the Norfolk Baltimore and Carolina Line (NBC Container Lines) of Norfolk, Virginia. Where the tug was renamed as the Esther K.
In 1986, the Norfolk Baltimore Carolina Line was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Esther K. McAllister.
In 1982, the tug was sunk as a reef near Walker Cay, Bahamas. The tug was single screw, and the last steam powered tugboat to be operated by the Curtis Bay Towing Company. She was rated at 900 horsepower. However in 1974, she was converted to diesel. For a rated 1,600 horsepower.