Built in 1894, by Buffalo Dry Dock of Buffalo, New York (hull #75) as the John H. Farley for the City of Cleveland, Ohio.
However, she was later renamed as the Fire Chief.
In 1959, the tug was acquired by McAllister Towing Limited of Montreal. A subsidiary of the Mcallister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1970, she was scrapped.