Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
HARRY CARD

Built in 1944, by Minneford Yacht Yard of City Island, New York (hull #LT 494) as the LT-494 for the United States Army.

She was eventually acquired by the Card Towing Company of Norfolk, Virginia. Where she was renamed as the Harry Card.

In 1946, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.

In 1950, she was acquired by the Cornell Steamboat Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Thomas Cornell.

In 1959, the tug was sold. Where she was renamed as the Jean Nelson. The tug is no longer in documentation. Her current and or final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,200 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: HARRY CARD
  • USCG Doc. No.: 249587
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Hull Material: WOOD
  • Ship Builder: Minneford Yacht Yard
  • Year Built: 1944
  • Length: 117.5
  • Hailing Port: NEW YORK, NY.
  • Hull Depth: 13.5
  • Hull Breadth: 28.0
  • Gross Tonnage: 275
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    LT-494, Harry Card, Thomas Cornell, Jean Nelson
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    United States Army, Card Towing Co., McAllister Bros. Towing Co., Cornell Steamboat Co.