Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
ISLAND COMMANDER
Photo by: Kyle Stubbs

Built in 1912, by Cochrane and Sons of Selby, England as the steam fishing trawler Andrew Kelly (hull #534) for the Canadian Fishing Company of Prince Rupert, British Columbia.

In 1941, she was acquired by Island Tug and Barge Limited of Vancouver, British Columbia. Where she was rebuilt as a diesel tugboat and renamed as the Island Commander.

In 1960, Island Tug and Barge Limited became a subsidy of McAllister Towing Limited Montreal of Montreal. Where the tug was renamed as the Island Commander.

In 1969, Island Tug and Barge Limited was acquired by Genstar Limited of Vancouver, British Columbia. Where the tug retained her name.

The tug was later acquired by Island Sea Marine Limited of West Vancouver, British Columbia. Where she retained her name. The tug was a single screw, rated at 1,640 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: ISLAND COMMANDER
  • USCG Doc. No.: C134745
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • IMO Number: 5164772
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 534
  • Ship Builder: COCHRANE & SONS
  • Year Built: 1912
  • Length: 118
  • Hailing Port: VICTORIA, BC
  • Hull Depth: 11.4
  • Hull Breadth: 21.9
  • Gross Tonnage: 270.98
  • Net Tonnage: 64.09
  • Owner:
    ISLAND-SEA MARINE LTD.
    6815 HYCROFT RD.
    W. VANCOUVER, CANADA
    V7W 2K7
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Andrew Kelly, Island Commander
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Canadian Fishing Company, Island Tug and Barge Ltd., McAllister Towing Ltd. of Montreal, Genstar Limited