Built in 1909, by Newport News Shipbuilding of Newport News, Virginia (hull #118) as the John Twohy Jr. for the Lambert's Point Towboat Company of Norfolk, Virginia.
In 1913, the tug was acquired by McAllister Brothers Towing of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the J.P. McAllister.
In 1943, the tug was substantially rebuilt.
In 1964, she went out of documentation.
In 1971, the tug was scrapped. The tug was a single screw, rated at 600 horsepower.