Built in 1900, by Detroit Shipbuilding of Wyandotte, Michigan (hull #137) as the James Battle a fireboat for the City of Detroit, Michigan.
In 1941, she was decommissioned.
In 1959, she was acquired by Island Tug and Barge Montreal of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Where the vessel retained her name. And was utilized as a fireboat in Montreal from 1959 to 1992.
In 1960, Island Tug and Barge was acquired by McAllister Towing of New York, New York. Where the company became a subsidy of McAllister Towing Limited Montreal of Montreal, Canada. Where she retained her name, but was converted for use as a tugboat.
In 1969, Island Tug and Barge Limited was acquired by Genstar Limited of Vancouver, British Columbia. Where the tug initially retained her name.
In 1990, she was scrapped. She was a single screw, tug.