Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
JAMES J. McALLISTER

Built in 1903, by Robert Palmer and Sons of Noank, Connecticut as the New York Dock Co. for the New York Dock Company of New York, New York.

In 1921, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the James J. McAllister.

In 1930, she was acquired by the Flannery Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the John H. Flannery.

In 1930, the tug was acquired by the Russell Brothers Towing Company (Newtown Creek Towing Company) of New York, New York. Where the tug was renamed as the Russell 5.

In 1948, she went out of documentation. Her current and, or final, disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 450 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: JAMES J. McALLISTER
  • USCG Doc. No.: 200348
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Hull Material: WOOD
  • Ship Builder: ROBERT PALMER AND SONS
  • Year Built: 1903
  • Length: 91.5
  • Hailing Port: NEW YORK, NY.
  • Hull Depth: 11.6
  • Hull Breadth: 24.8
  • Gross Tonnage: 147
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    New York Dock Co., James J. McAllister, James H. Flannery, Russell 5
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    New York Dock Co., McAllister Bros. Towing Co., Flannery Towing Co., Russell Bros. Towing Co.