Built in 1872, at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as the Kate Miller. However, she was later renamed as the James Kay.
In 1906, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1930, she went out of documentation. Her current and or final disposition is unknown. She was a single screw tug, rated at 54 horsepower.