Built in 1918, by Buffalo Dry Dock of Buffalo, New York (hull #902) as the AT-19 (Comanche) for the United States Navy.
However, she was later redesignated as the AT-19 (Sagamore).
In 1948, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the John E. McAllister.
In 1954, she went out of documentation and was scrapped. The tug was single screw, rated at 2,150 horsepower.