Built in 1911, by John H. Dialogue and Son of Camden, New Jersey (hull #438) as the Barnett for Jacksonville Towing and Wrecking Company of Jacksonville, Florida.
However, the tug was later acquired by the Steele Towing and Wrecking Company of Galveston, Texas. Where the tug retained her name.
On December 19th, 1917, the tug was acquired by the United States Navy. Where she was designated SP-1149 (USS Barnett). She was commissioned on December 21st, 1917 at Galveston, Texas.
On July 17th, 1920 the tug was designated as the YT-29. However on May 19th, 1936 she was decommissioned, and struck from the Naval Register on May 19th, 1936.
On September 24th, 1936 the tug was acquired by the Simmons-Lee Lighterage and Transit Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Richard Simmons.
In 1941, she was acquired by the Card Towing Company of Norfolk, Virginia. Where she was renamed as the Raymond Card.
In 1947, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name. In 1953, she went out of documentation. And in 1956, the tug was scrapped. She was single screw, rated at 500 horsepower.