Built in 1905 by the McKay and Dix Shipyard of Verona, Maine as the Roosevelt for the Peary Arctic Club of Hallowell, Maine.
She was originally constructed as a research vessel. Her hull was built to withstand arctic ice, the wood in her hull was 36(in) thick.
The vessel was eventually acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was converted for use as a tug. Where she retained her name.
In 1939, she was wrecked at Panama Canal entrance. She was a single screw tug, rated at 1,000 horsepower.