Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
RUSSELL 8
Pictured as: the Reid McAllister (McAllister Towing) Photo by: Dave Boone

Built in 1943, by Platzer Boat Works of Houston, Texas (hull #117) as the ST-71 for the United States Army.

In 1946, she was acquired by the Russell Brothers Towing Company (Newtown Creek Towing Company) of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Russell 8.

In 1961, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where initially she retained her name.

In 1963, the McAllister Brothers Towing Company was renamed as the Reid McAllister

In 1967, she was acquired by the Gaelic Tugboat Company of Grosse Isle, Michigan. Where the tug was renamed as the Donegal.

In 1998, the tug was acquired by the Roen Salvage Company of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Where she was renamed as the John A. Asher.

The tug is single screw, rated at 400 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: RUSSELL 8
  • USCG Doc. No.: 0249573
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted
  • Call Sign: WSF6691
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 117
  • Ship Builder: PLATZER BOAT WORKS
  • Year Built: 1943
  • Length: 68.9
  • Hailing Port: STURGEON BAY, WI.
  • Hull Depth: 8
  • Hull Breadth: 20
  • Gross Tonnage: 93
  • Net Tonnage: 63
  • Owner:
    ROEN SALVAGE COMPANY
    180 EAST REDWOOD ST PO BOX 26
    STURGEON BAY, WI 54235
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    ST 71, Russell 8, Reid McAllister, Donegal, JOHN R. ASHER
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    United States Army, Russell Bros. Towing Co. (Newtown Creek Towing Co.), McAllister Bros. Towing Co., Gaelic Tugboat Co., ROEN SALVAGE COMPANY