Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
SAMUEL A. GUILDS
Pictured as: the William F. McCauley (Propeller Tow Boat Co) Photo by: Pino Nino

Built in 1894, John H. Dialogue and Son of Camden, New Jersey (hull #332) as the William F. McCauley for the Propeller Towboat Company of Savannah, Georgia.

On April 13th, 1918 the tug was acquired by the United States Navy. And, commissioned the same day. However, on November 26th, 1918 she was struck from the Navy list, and returned to her owners.

The tug was later acquired by the Atlantic Towing Company of Savannah, Georgia. Where she was renamed as the Captain Collier.

She was later sold. Where she was renamed as the Samuel A. Guilds.

In 1969, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she retained her name.

In 1994, she was acquired by Great Link Incorporated. Where the tug retained her name. The tug is no longer listed in documentation.

She was powered by a single steam engine, turning a single propeller for a rated 640 horsepower. Her current, and or, final disposition is unknown.
(NavSource Online)


  • Vessel Name: SAMUEL A. GUILDS
  • USCG Doc. No.: 081493
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted, Great Lakes, Registry
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 332
  • Ship Builder: John H. Dialogue & Son
  • Year Built: 1894
  • Length: 100
  • Hailing Port: NEW YORK, NY.
  • Hull Depth: 11.2
  • Hull Breadth: 21.0
  • Gross Tonnage: 149
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    William F. McCauley, Captain Collier, Samuel A. Guilds
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    Propeller Tow Boat Co., United Stated Navy, Atlantic Towing Co., McAllister Bros. Towing Co., Great Link Inc.