Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
YTM-543 "ETAWINA"
Pictured as: the YTB-543 (Etawina) (United States Navy) Photo by: Robert Hurst

Built in 1945, by Consolidated Shipbuilding of Morris Heights, New York (hull # YT 543) as the YTB-543 (Etawina) for the United States Navy.

Her keel was laid down in 1945, and the tug was launched on June 11th, 1945. In November of 1945, the tug was delivered to the United States Navy. And, placed in service at the 1st Naval District

In March of 1946, she was placed out of service and laid up in reserve. However, in January 1951, the tug was reactivated for service. And, assigned to the 6th Naval District at Charleston, South Carolina.

In 1962, the tug was redesignated as the YTM-543 (Etawina). It is unknown when the Navy placed her out of service, and struck her from the Naval Register. On July 1st, 1981, the tug was sold for scrapping by the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS).

In 1981, she was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Etawina.

In 1991, the tug was acquired by the Gateway Towing Company of New Haven, Connecticut. Where the tug retained her name.

In 1994, she was laid up at Roundout Creek in Kingston, New York. The tug was powered by two Fairbanks Morse diesel engines, turning one shaft. For a rated 3,500 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: YTM-543 "ETAWINA"
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted, Registry
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: YTM-543
  • Ship Builder: Consolidated Shipbuilding
  • Year Built: 1945
  • Length: 101
  • Hailing Port: PHILADELPHIA, PA.
  • Hull Depth: 11
  • Hull Breadth: 28
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    YTB-543 (Etawina), YTB-543 (Etawina), Etawina
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    United States Navy, Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS), McAllister Bros. Towing, Gateway Terminals