Built in 1929, by United Dry Docks Incorporated of Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York (hull #791) as the Socony 27 for the Socony Vacum Oil Company of New York, New York.
In 1955, the Socony Vacum Oil Company became the Socony Mobil Oil Company of New York, New York. Where the tug retained her name.
In 1960, the tug was acquired by the McAllister Brothers Towing Company of New York, New York. Where she was renamed as the Catherine McAllister.
In 1973, the tug was beached along the Inter Coastal Waterway. Her hull remained intact through the 1970's. But was eventually cut apart. In the 1990's, only her lower hull remained. She remained an intact hull but only the name was visible.
Originally, she was steam powered. However, she was rebuilt in the 1940's with a 1,200 horsepower diesel engine.