Home Search Links About Us Updates TBI Store Login
BURNT ISLAND

Built in 1943, by Froemming Brothers of Milwaukee, Wisconsin (hull #897) as the Bald Head for the United States Navy.

She was a A V4-M-A1 class tug. A 186(ft) oceangoing tug, of which forty-nine were built for the United States Navy. By various shipyards throughout the United States for wartime service.

In 1943, the Moran Towing Company of New York, New York was contracted to man and operate the tug for the United States Navy.

In 1946, she was returned to the United States Navy.

In 1969, the tug was acquired by the Mexican Navy, where she was designated as the R-5.

In 1979, she was scrapped. The tug was single screw, rated at 2,250 horsepower.


  • Vessel Name: BURNT ISLAND
  • USCG Doc. No.: 2443270
  • Vessel Service: TOWING VESSEL
  • Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted, Registry
  • Hull Material: STEEL
  • Hull Number: 1014
  • Ship Builder: Avondale Marine
  • Year Built: 1943
  • Length: 185.5
  • Hull Depth: 17.8
  • Hull Breadth: 37.6
  • Gross Tonnage: 1117
  • Net Tonnage: 251
  • Previous Vessel Names:
    Burnt Island
  • Previous Vessel Owners:
    War Shipping Administration, United States Navy